Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Verizon iPhone: Photography Apps You'll Love

Well those of you in the know of all things tech have been hearing, or speculating about this for a long time. Turning back the clock, I remember that since the release of the original iPhone in 2007, oodles and oodles of Verizon Wireless subscribers have wanted--no, DEMANDED--to know why the iPhone was released exclusively on AT&T, and not on Verizon, the so-called most reliable wireless network in America. For the past year or so tech blogs and tech junkies (okay, and occasionally the NY Times and Wall Street Journal) have been speculating that the iPhone is moving over to Big Red 'any day now' Well, Verizon Wireless fans (and disheartened contract-locked subscribers thereto), your day has come. Or...is coming. Today Verizon Wireless announced the February 10th arrival of the iPhone 4!

[pause inserted for cheers and tear drying]

But you can find out more about this all over the web. So why am I taking the time to write about it here, on a photography blog? As it happens, the iPhone is more than just a phone. In fact some would argue that it's barely a phone. The iPhone is dominating the mobile industry not as a device used to call your wife and kids during your 4 hour layover in LaGuardia, but as a mobile computing device made more and more powerful by an explosion of mobile applications. The name of the game in 2011 is Apps; and for this reason the iPhone is without peer! And, as it happens, many of those apps are made especially for Photographers. So let me highlight a few of these apps that I personally use. There are apps that empower the cell phone photog or mobile graphic artist in you, and apps that turn your iPhone into a powerful tool at your next shoot (with a real camera). Those of you finding this post on Blogger will have to find the 2nd part of this post on my main website if you want to read it sooner (www.timhaines.com

For today I thought it would be a good idea to start with the fun side of things and tell you about two of the special effects apps that I like to use. I'll save the straight-up workhorse photography apps for my next post.


CameraKit (iTunes Link): Developed by Sei Takahashi
I love this app! CameraKit is one of several apps that put graphic and photo effects in the palm of your hand...where Photoshop doesn't fit. After taking a picture, or loading a picture from your camera roll, you're able to select from a number of effects to achieve a dramatic, high-intensity look to your photo. It offers four types of "film" (Color, B&W, Sepia and Classic), Vignetting selection, Soft Focus, Cross Processing and Push/Pull Processing.
This is pretty much my favorite of the "filter apps" because it's drop dead painless and simple to use, and the look of the affects is really in tune with my taste. I wish it didn't take so long to save full-sized files, but I have to say the result is usually worth the wait. And by "wait" we're talking about 15 seconds or so. Previews are instant, so you'll be able to see what your result will look like right away. But if you're saving full sized images don't expect to be in the fast lane of things. Saving smaller sized images reduces your wait time drastically.



PhotoFX: (iTunes Link) Developed by Tiffen
Sure, Tiffen's desktop pro filter applications are over priced, and sure it's inconvenient to purchase, and sure it's an unstable operating environment (are you listening Tiffen?!?!?) but believe it or not their iPhone app is not that bad. It's not expensive, works pretty well, it's stable, and its effects engine does some beautiful things to your shots. You can choose from 76 filters, and 27 grain presets, and all of the filters can be stacked into layers, giving you the ability to really customize your look. With manual sliders you can also refine the softness or intensity of the affects if you want to really take charge of the result of your final image.
I find I don't use this app a hell of a lot. I prefer more natural looks to my images. But when I'm looking for something more intense or surreal, my pictures usually wind up in PhotoFX somewhere in my workflow.


These are great apps, but they are only two of many great applications that empower your creativity, and help you have a lot more fun with your iPhone. In the next day or two I'll post the 2nd part of this blog entry. Remember, blogs are always posted to my website first at timhaines.com. Blogger is usually used as my live blogging tool during shoots ;-)
Stay tooned! And if you already have an iPhone or an Android device, you can always take your favorite photography resource with you by visiting my mobile site.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: