Saturday, January 1, 2011

Photography in the Mountains: Part 4







There was snow on the ground when I got here and now most of it is gone. It's surprisingly not that cold here.

Input together a short video montage on my iPhone but I hesitate to upload it to YouTube because it won't upload at the greatest quality. I'd rather wait and upload it the right way. Speaking of doing things the right way I'm also re-uploading some pics in this blog because it seems like they didn't upload nicely in my last post.







I still need to crank out a review or two but, as I said before, it's hard to do with too much around to shoot. I'll think of something though. I always do. I was using the canon teleconverter today at the motel shoot. Turned my 200mm into a 400mm, which was nice. Don't overestimate the conversion though. While 400mm is twice the range of 400mm, it doesn't a out to a whole hell of a lot of different in your viewfinder. I knew this already, but i thought it would be a good bit of wisdom to share. 400mm is going to get you closer to what you're shooting, but it isn't a telescope.






I shot with my range of lenses today, from 16mm all the way up to 400mm. Tomorrow I may hike light...taking only my 24-70 and my 16-35. Maybe that'll be the time to do a review. And for those of you interested in a tutorial on getting the most out of your cameras dynamic range, man I definitely employed a few tricks today that I'll have to teach you about lol. There was a wide range of highlights and shadows allover the place, from bright sky highlights, to sharp sun blasts, to deep shadows amongst what I was shooting. It was all working the hell out of my own knowledge. No big deal though.





That's all for now. I'll write another post when there is some development to tell you about. Be cool
Tim Haines


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: